Sunday, March 22, 2009

getting away...via stairs

Stair sketches where i took both the horizontal and vertical sections of eight designs.


Based on the section design below, this is my studios with gallery sketch up design.



And here are close-ups of the two flights of stairs.


I had commented on this blog http://nikkardum.blogspot.com/
Tracy Moffat's Invocation #2 is a 147 x 122 cm photo silkscreen printed in ultraviolet inks on somerset satin paper. "Invocations" is a febrile set of fantasy images. They were created using elaborate sets in a New York studio, then spending months manipulating the photographs to achieve "painterly" effects ­ right down to "cracks" on the surface. In an interview, Moffat describes the process of creating 'Invocations': "The pictures were made in a big studio in New York. I created the tableaux. I had people build the theatrical sets for me and then I made the photographs. Then I wanted to go beyond the photograph in presenting the images so that the work became more painterly. I actually couldn't stop thinking about the old silk screen process. I don't think anyone knows how to do it any more. We all learned it as kids in school but no one's really employing it any more. Anyway, I found this printer in New Jersey - he had a huge old-fashioned set-up. He's a commercial printer, and he said he would do the job. Years ago he had worked for artists but there was no money in it, so he gave it up, and he now prints for Toys R Us. So, I come to him with this art project and he's delighted to be back into the art world; but we took nine months to make the work and print it. It's all by hand, colour after colour, screen after screen, so the pictures have this sort of built up feel: like a pastel, a watercolour. And it's very physical. I wanted the physicality of paint on paper. I wanted it to be sensual."
note: this is more than 120 words and I couldnt get Fiona Hall's process because I can't find the title of her work that I used. I found it on this blog: thejunefox.blogspot.com and she never replied when I contacted her asking for the name of the work she has on her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment